Monday, March 24, 2008

Wait No More - I Received The Pink Slip Today!

It's interesting how one second you feel one way and then that feeling can quickly change. While my other co-workers received their news before noon, my group gets the bad news later in the day. Not that it's a big deal, but it still would have been nice if everyone received the news - at the same time.

We receive the 'official' email and then it's followed up with a conference call to see if anyone has any questions. We're told to make sure we read through all the paperwork and to make sure we make the time to clean out our desks. And they still want us to work until the end.

I knew this day was coming and although seeing the 'official' letter made me feel a little numb at first, as the day went on, the numbness actually starting wearing off. It has come to this, a piece of paper letting me know that there is indeed life beyond Company A. I'm free, free from worrying if my position that I held for the past 5 1/2 years can be saved or will I have to start over.

When I leave on March 31, the work is then outsourced to Company B which starts on April 1. At that point, it will be over for Company A but it's not over for me. Yes, attitude is EVERYthing.

My Day #4 ends in the words of a beautiful song by Jill Scott called 'I Keep' - the chorus is the best part of the song and what I need to remind myself as I hang on to see this ride slowly coming to an end.

"I keep
Moving forward, pressing onward, striving further
I keep
Keep on laughing, keep on living, keep on loving yeah
I keep
Keep on dreaming keep on achieving, keep on believing
I keep
I keep smiling when I come thru and I cry when I need to".

2 comments:

Andy said...

I am extremely sorry to hear that you are loosing your job.

I am an Indian living in New Delhi and there are plenty of jobs in IT and business services due to outsourcing.

Your job exists but your salary does not exists. A massive global reproductivity shift is going on where US workers are getting displaced and Indian workers are doing the same work with 40-50% cost saving which is pumped in companies balance sheet.

Some economist are saying it is beneficial in the medium to long term but i know at the moment it is a big loss for you.

Come here to India...I know lot of britishers and americans who are living here and working...problems are there but the IT companies in India will pay you handsome salary which will allow you to enjoy life tremendously.

Andy.

IBlog said...

Andy,

Thank you, but no thank you. I don't see moving to India as to the solution of my current job situation. Finding a job, doing something that I enjoy doing while getting paid for it is the next goal. And please, don't be sorry for me. Things like this happen all the time and they happen for a reason. The important thing is not to take it personal, I'm taking it as something to learn and grow from. Thanks for posting your comment and good luck to you in India.

Iblog