Monday, March 31, 2008

The End?

Company B sending over their representatives to get introduced to their new job; my old job, email requests for information that should have been thought of weeks ago, non-stop conference calls discussing last minute details and that's just it. Everything is thought of - at the last minute, everything is asked about - at the last minute. Requests are made - at the last minute.

Company B wants to come in and completely take over without considering the implications. They have no idea of what's in store for them and not to be mean, but they deserve it. No prior research, meetings or questions asked - until today, the last day, literally up until the last hour at work today, this is what took place.

My feelings were bittersweet up until three days ago but after seeing how both Company A and Company B communicate and how they expect things to be done, my feelings are now of great relief. Relief that I can now take charge of my professional life when I was unsure of how to do so.

We all need to come to a realization of this. Each one of us should be in charge of our lives, in every aspect: spiritual, mental, emotional, phyiscal and - professional. Don't leave it up to someone else to have the say, say yourself in the best way that you can. As the expression goes, "Do you"

One of the managers said to me that he hoped that I would be ok and that I find another opportunity. I looked at him and smiled with a nod and said 'Of course I am ok and I don't think I'll have any problems finding another opportunity'. Interesting, in times of downsizing, outsourcing and lay offs, the normal reaction is be upset or concerned. But we can't take it personally, although these companies make you feel like you should.

Being laid off right now was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. It's not the end by any means, in fact, it's the beginning and I'm just getting started.

No comments: