Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day #3 Time to Start Packing

After looking at my desk, inside and out, I didn't realize until today that I have accumulated a lot in the past 5 1/2 years as an IT manager and I do mean a lot.

With the tons of technology books, reference materials, and out-dated software that I have, I realize that a lot has changed in the IT industry since I started. Everything seems to be leaning towards helping clients remotely with the telephone being used as the only point of contact instead of a live person. Automation has truly redefined and redirected this business.

Clients still need that communication with a real person. Nothing should take the place of that. I came across a Windows 98 boot diskette which is still gold and worth keeping - at least to me-:) I'm not throwing it away. Some useful things to keep for the next job:
  • software, documentation, user manuals
  • performance appraisals
  • letters of commendation from clients, co-workers, management, etc.
  • list of telephone numbers & email addresses of previous clients/co-workers, management to use as references, more is definitely better - it shows you have history with others
  • any type of tools or materials you use to perform your job

I'm making my list and checking it twice, leaving nothing behind.

No comments: